Friday, September 04, 2015

My first garden


If you get sick of reading about my garden, you may want to quit reading this post! 

The funny thing is - I didn't realize I was a gardener for a long time, but then my mom reminded me of this school project when I was nine years old. 

It was Catholic school, in Inglewood - we had to start a plant from a seed. My teacher ended up calling my mom, begging her to take the plant that I had started home. It had gotten too big. 


I guess that was the start of my gardening career. 


This zucchini was bigger than me!





Well that was then, and this is now.

The gardening club that I started this past spring was such a success, I can't wait to do it next year. In fact, a few people have asked me to add their name to the list. For just a few dollars to buy some packs of seeds, we all started plants. And then traded with each other. It was amazing to see all the plants that showed up from everyone's labors, we had hundreds and hundreds of them. 

Alas, my 2015 garden has reached the end of its life. Once the squash bugs and horn worms show up, it's all over. I pulled everything out last weekend. 

So the squash bed went from this 


to this.


 When these bitches show up, you're done. 



Oh, don't worry, the fall vegetables are going in soon. 

Here's a slideshow recap of the 2015 garden... Enjoy!






2 comments:

Vegas Lupe said...

You were an ADORABLE little girl! That zucchini was bigger than you. Thanks for posting the images. I enjoyed the video as well. :)

Christine said...

That picture of the nun holding the zuke could go viral you know, LOL!